Goal Setting is SMART Business
Goal setting is as important in your personal life as it is in your business.
The importance of goal setting is the most common denominator in all self-help literature and books. We are told to set:
- Long-Term Goals
- Short-Term Goals
- Lifetime Goals
- Personal Goals
The advantages of Specific, Measurable, Achievable,Â Results-oriented, Time-framed (S.M.A.R.T) goals have been mentioned in self-help books for many years.
Goal setting is a very powerful process. The idea behind goal setting is to turn a vision into an achievable, actionable reality. And it’s no surprise that it’s the common denominator of successful individuals and businesses.
How do we set and achieve goals? Stephan R. Covey says it best in his book ‘7 Habits of Highly Effective People’.
“To begin with theÂ end in mind means to start with a clear understanding of your destination. It means to know where youâ€™re going so that you better understand where you are now and so that the steps you take are always in the right direction.â€
Example of a S.M.A.R.T Goal
- My goal is to maintain a healthy body.
- To be fit and do all the things I enjoy.
- So that I can set an example for my children.
- To build my personal character strength.
- Good Nutrition – I will increase my intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, and decrease my intake of sugar, fats, salt, and red meat.
- Physical – I will exercise aerobicallyÂ 3 times per week, for 30 minutes at a time.
- Focus – I will be aware of my body and look out for any potential health problems.
Focusing on the smaller, short-term goals and achieving success will give you the confidenceÂ to set other goals. Remember to set your goals based on the S.M.A.R.T principle and you will have the best chance of achieving your goals.
Start off with a FREE Business Coaching SessionÂ to start aligning your SMART Goals with Your Business.
If you would like the help of a professional, contact business coach Rob Carol for all your business coaching needs.Â Call 604-942-2866 or visit www.robcarol.com/